15 South Street, Bridgewater, Massachusetts 02324
Phone: 508-697-3331 firstname.lastname@example.org
Where in Bridgewater can the town seal be found?
In 1984, a granite engraving of the town seal was placed in the sidewalk in front of Town Hall.
The original town seal, designed by Henry Mitchell, a well-known gem and seal engraver from Boston, was adopted by a vote at Town Meeting, March 1896.
Found on the seal are: a coat of arms, facsimile of the coat of arms of Bridgwater, England; an antique lamp, symbolic of the spirit of enlightenment of the town fathers and their successors in promoting a "learned ministry;" and a crest, including an embowed arm brandishing a hammer, representative of the energy and skill of the early founders and their successors in establishing various branches of mechanical industry. Above the crest is a scroll with the words "Incorporated 1656"; beneath the crest, a ribbon with "Nunkatales and Saughtucket", the aboriginal names of the land and water of the colonial grant of 1645 that became part of the territory purchased from the Indians in 1649.
What is a witness stone?
According to the original town by-laws, the Selectmen of the towns of Bridgewater, East Bridgewater and West Bridgewater must walk the town boundaries.
A witness stone could be found beside the road marking the spot where North Street in Bridgewater and South Street in West Bridgewater meet. A second witness stone was in the river at Titicut, site of the Middleboro-Raynham-Bridgewater line.
Is the four-legged tree still standing and can it give me good luck?
Legend has it that if you make a wish under the legs of a four-legged tree, your wish will come true. For 121 years, Bridgewater had such a tree.
In 1833 Ebenezer Carver planted four trees beside his front gate. When the trees were tall enough, he chained them together. They grew into one to form a living arch. Located on Summer St. near the entrance to Carver's Pond, the tree was a source of curiosity and wonder until 1954 when the last part of the tree was taken down.
What is the Bridgewater Triangle?
The Bridgewater Triangle is a 200 square mile area encompassing all of the Bridgewaters, Raynham, Taunton, Brockton, Mansfield, Norton and Easton having the towns of Abington, Freetown and Rehoboth at its angles. Within this region is the Hockomock Swamp designated as the most questionable area within the Triangle. Numerous strange and unusual, even ominous, sightings have been attributed to the Triangle including huge snakes, large birds, known in Indian folklore as thunderbirds, and a large ape-like creature dubbed Bigfoot because it leaves 18 inch footprints.
In the 1970's, there were several sightings of UFO's within the vicinity of the Triangle.
What does the Hockomock Swamp have to do with Indians?
Located in the western section of Bridgewater, the Hockomock Swamp serves as an important water storage area and wildlife refuge. It is also the sight of an 8,000 year old Indian burial ground.
During King Philip's War in 1675, Metacomet, also known as King Philip, used the area as a refuge. When archaeologists excavating the burial ground, located on Grassy Island in the Hockomock Swamp, opened the graves, the red ochre within the tombs mysteriously bubbled and dissolved. Photographs of the site would not develop.
Who was Mickey Cochrane?
Born in Bridgewater April 6. 1903, Mickey Cochrane attended local public schools. He was one of the stars of the Town's semi-pro baseball team known as the Old Bridgewater Club.
In 1925, he made his professional baseball debut as catcher for the Philadelphia Athletics. A member of the team's starting line-up for nine consecutive seasons, he played for them in three World Series. Traded to the Detroit Tigers in 1933, Mickey led the team to the American League pennant in 1934. The following year, the Tigers won the World Series.
His playing days were cut short by a fastball to the right temple at Yankee Stadium on May 25,1937. Mickey was 34 years old.
A fiery, colorful player, Mickey's outstanding catching and his .320 lifetime batting average won him a place in the Baseball Hall of Fame in 1947. He died of leukemia in Lake Forest, Illinois June 28, 1962 at the age of 59.
What is the connection between Bill Conant and baseball?
William "Uncle Bill" Conant was born in Bridgewater March 15,1834. He grew up playing bare-handed baseball in the cowfields of Bridgewater.
A businessman for 50 years, Mr. Conant made his fortune manufacturing hoopskirts and later, when hoopskirts were no longer fashionable, rubber goods.
William Conant, Arthur Soden and James Billings purchased the Boston National League Baseball Club, know as the Beaneaters, in 1876. One of the best teams in their day, the Beaneaters won the pennant in 1877, 1878 and 1883. Mr. Conant was instrumental in the acquisition of Mike "King" Kelly from Chicago in 1886.
Mr. Conant sold his interest in the franchise in 1910. He died October 23,
1926 at the age of 89.
Why was Bridgewater named in the Guinness Book of Records?
Calvin Phillips, a resident of Bridgewater, Massachusetts in the 18th century, was listed in the Guinness Book of Records as the smallest adult ever recorded, standing 26 1/2 inches tall.
Whoever heard of a "living skeleton"?
Isaac Spraque, another Bridgewater resident in the late 1800's, toured the country with the P.T. Barnum Circus, billed as the "living-skeleton". He weighed only 46 pounds.
What is Bridgewater's contribution to education history?
Bridgewater was the site of the first normal school building in America built in 1846.
Last modified 01/26/2011